Monday, October 12, 2009

My convictions propel me with great force, they keep me on course, so I can cross that line.

We had just crossed into Georgia.

I hadn't thought her eyes could stay

propped open for so long, staring at

the stretched clouds like skin

that lay ugly on the evening sky.


There were very few ways to pass the time,

as we had underestimated the amount of

music a three day trip would require.  My

hands trembled when she spoke, my intestines

ablaze with the Mexican food, and the sound

waves of the mariachi trumpets bursting through

the pours in my skin.


I hadn't had an opportunity to tell her, not allow

for even a sentence to bubble through the air

like those in comic books of my feelings.  Though

I knew she'd understand, I did not want to risk

our situation.  I had spent the entire last night,

awake in the mouth of my bedroom shark

being jostled around by the tongue of conviction,

the tongue pressuring me to the roof of that shark

suffocating me, my mouth could still not move.


My mother had told me about these types, but

not much.  Not enough to keep me out of trouble.

No matter how many times someone asks you

'What's wrong?' you will only answer them if it is

the very first time they've asked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment